Thursday, February 21, 2013

Diversity in Librarianship is a Threat to White Librarians?

Today I read an editorial in the LJ (Library Journal) about minority hiring practices in the library field. It wasn't so much the article that got me started, but the ridiculous comments that people left in response to the editorial. Many of the responders commented that diversity is anti-White. You can imagine why I got upset and had to respond. Read my response below:

"As a Black Woman and Librarian, I take offense to some of the comments to this editorial. First, Diversity isn’t a dirty word or a threat and shouldn’t be used as such. To say that diversity initiatives are anti-White is both an uninformed and disparaging statement. Diversity is an action of INCLUSION not EXCLUSION. Diversity initiatives DO NOT seek to replace whites with minorities, but to include those who for far too long have been excluded in the workplace simply based on their racial background.

The field of librarianship has been a rather homogenous field for as long as I can remember. My school Librarian was White, the Public Librarian at my local library was White and when I started college, White Librarians assisted me with my research. With the exception of my mother, who is also a Librarian, it was very rare to see anyone who looked like me working at the library. These women were smart and competent, good role models in fact, but they didn’t know much about how to serve their non-White constituents. They assumed that whatever worked for Whites in terms of collection development, programming, and services worked for everyone else too. But this is just simply not the case and people in the field were starting to recognize that. 

It wasn’t until I entered grad school, did I really start to see a push for diversifying the field. I began to see qualified, creative, and forward-thinking African American, Asian, Native American, and Latino Librarians alongside White Librarians. 

I applaud those who strive to make the changes that are necessary to better serve their communities.  If it wasn’t for their efforts, people like my mother and myself, would have found it even MORE difficult to break into the field that we truly love. 

Due to her hard work, sacrifice, and persistence my mother is now a Dean of Library Services. It was her drive and talent that brought her to where she is now, not color of her skin or the academic merit scholarship she received to go to college. And I am where I am now, a Public and Academic Librarian, not because of my skin color, but because my employers recognized my skills, knowledge, and determination.

I hope that the field continues to open up and evolve. I hope that more minorities elect to enter the field of librarianship. Hiring qualified minority Librarians is good for everyone NOT JUST minorities. I believe we can all learn something from one another and we can work together to advance the profession."

To read the original editorial, nasty comments in all, click here.

-Black Librarian






4 comments:

Johnnie R. Blunt said...

Thanks for posting this. The sole Black male librarian at my institution, I also don't see diversity as a threat to white librarians.

I think diversity may bring in different perspectives that may actually save librarianship from extinction within the next 20 years.

Reina Williams said...

I reported one of the comments to the Library Journal editorial that was very offensive. Library Journal responded within hours, and removed the questionable comment.

Unknown said...

I'm one of the 560 Black male Librarians. I have worked at two Libraries with all black student bodies. However, I was the only black Librarian and was only part-time at both libraries. When new positions open they hire white librarians, sometimes form the outside, or shoe-ins who have seniority. I want to be a Librarian! But I'm not sure if waiting years for a full time Job is something I'm willing to do. I might leave the profession and do something else.

Unknown said...

I meant to add that I do realize that many white librarians and others don't have full time jobs. And also that many in the profession have waited years to land a full time job. It shouldn't be like that though.